Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, January 19, 2015

More From the Philippines!

Elder Rubow awhile back asked me if I had a favorite picture of the Savior.  I don't have a particular favorite but without knowing why or what he wanted, I sent him a few that I like.  He had this made for me.  It is made from bamboo.
January 12, 2015

The most frustrating and yet hopeful day of the week is Sunday for missionaries.  After teaching many lessons and your investigators say they will go to church but don't because they were washing plastic....thats really annoying.  And we cannot progress with our investigators until they are reading the Book of Mormon and going to church.  So now we have to wait another week and their baptism will need to be pushed back.  Grabi gid.

Other then that though it has been a very very awesome week.  As District Leader I am assigned to go with the other missionaries in their different areas and I was able to see the progression in language, teaching, investigators, and many more things.  It was way fun.  I was able to work with Elder A, a pretty new missionary, and with Elder L, another new missionary.  Elder L is from a nearby island and he is native Hiligaynon which is awesome because he doesn't have to learn the language here.  He grew up in the church in a very active family so he knows the doctrine and he used to work with the missionaries almost everyday so he knows how to teach.  So basically if he was from America he would be serving a state side mission for him.  Really awesome guy.

Um...that really is our week.  Not incredibly exciting and no more of our members are killing anyone so I think things are good!  One other thing that did happen though was three less active families have come back to church this last week which was awesome!  Thats going to be a big focus for the next couple of weeks though I will be transfering in two weeks. Thanks again for all you do and Ill talk to you next week!

Nothing much really happened this week but I hope more for this week.  I didn't have time to make a video sadly but I will have one next week for sure.  Thanks again for your prayers!  Do enjoy the pictures!

Elder Rubow

January 18, 2015

Elder Rubow is pictured in the center.  With Elder M on his left and Elder S on his right.  

So I have heard I am going to transfer next week.  And I am really sad because I am so close to some of the
people here and now I will probably never see most of them again.  Thank goodness for modern technology
though so I can keep tabs on everyone.

So it souds like you have been very busy with floors!  (I wrote and told him I am sick of cleaning carpets and if I had my way, I would yank them all out and replace with concrete and tile with a huge drain/disposal in the middle of the floor!)  There had better be carpets though when I get back.  I miss that so much.  Send me some pictures of that purse. (The SM bought me a new purse.  First impractical purse I've ever bought.  It's not brown or black.  It's cute and trendy and did I mention impractical??  Elder Rubow wants proof.)
 
So I prepared a video for you this week but it died and now it wont send.  I promise you one next week though and with some pictures.  I have a lot of those I need to send.  

So I hate to make this email so short today but I am on one of the worst computers for some reason and everything keeps crashing and not working and it is really frustrating right now.  Anyway this week was one of the best we have had in a long time.  And a lot of good things have happened as of late.  So I will just start with the top.

Exactly a week ago we had a Zone Activity with a bunch of missionaries.  Probably 25 of us total.  The subject of the activity was survival and we all went to a field that a member owns.  The Zone leaders made a bunch of obstacle courses and games for us and we were all put into tribes and the best tribe that was able to pass the tests won.  That was a lot of fun but I had just recovered from a fever so I mostly just took pictures and helped run the show.  In the course there was a lot of water holes because the members had water buffalos so a lot of missionaries got really muddy.  One of the couple missionaries lost his shoe in it.  But they had a lot of fun as well.

Tuesday was the most spiritual part of the week for me.  As a district leader I have the opportunity to lead 7 other missionaries which is a lot of fun.  One of my responsibilities as well is interviewing missionaries in my district.  A few of the missionaries have been having some difficulty with culture as of late. Most companionships are made up of one Filipino and one foreigner and we have a lot of differences sometimes.  I have been reading a lot about the gifts of the Spirit and how I can receive them and use them for good.  After hearing a few of the problems they were having I could literally feel the Spirit telling them what they needed to do.  I don't remember much that was even said but I do remember the look they had and they have been working together really well ever since.  

The other gift I have been experiencing is the gift of tongues. I have been pronounced fluent Illango here and I can honestly put 100% into the Spirit.  So many times I have felt the spirit enhance my knowledge and though I can't understand or say everything I have the spirit with me to help me.

This last Sunday was also amazing.  4 of our investigators were able to go to church and they all seemed to like it and have expressed a desire to return.  Then we had an answer to my prayer.  In La Paz we have over 300 less active members and this last week the ward has put together a rescue team to work with the missionaries and find those less active members.  We have found 4 families already and we also by chance found 9 new investigators who have expressed interest in our message and already have close friends in the church.  This is a huge growth!  The power of members is so strong.  Even I used to think that the missionaries are the ones to go out and rescue all those people but I can honestly say that it is the work of both the missionaries and members that will bring the growth that the Lord needs.  Such good things have started up.  And sadly I will be transferring to a new area next week.  But it was an amazing to have been apart of this huge growth.  I am going to miss this so much but I am really excited for some new experience and maybe even a new language.
Thank you again for all the prayers and I hope to hear from what is happening in your lives and what amazing blessing the Lord has blessed you with.

That is whats going on this week so yeah!  I can't believe that it is almost February already.  Time goes whether we know it or not.  It is going to be such a busy last week before I go.  Love you so much mom and you you do make faces! (I do not!!!!)

Elder Rubow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!